I know this is a week late, but, hey, I had 146 home runs to watch...
While I was at the SABR 40 conference in Atlanta last weekend, I was unable to do the Tater Trot Tracker for home runs hit those days. With the crappy internet situation at the hotel, it just wasn't going to happen. I finally got through the list of 146 home runs tonight and I just wanted to take a moment to highlight a few of the home runs.
- Chris Denorfia (15.19 seconds, video) and Rickie Weeks (15.68 seconds, video) each hit inside-the-park home runs after the defense made some questionable plays on the balls.
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 600th career home run in the meantime. His trot came in at a respectable 25.57 seconds [video].
- Pedro Alvarez hit a very celebrated walkoff home run for the Pirates on Saturday. His trot came in at 24.04 seconds [video].
- The fastest non-inside-the-park home run came from Andrew McCutchen on August 4, when he went through his trot to the tune of 17.79 seconds [video]. There were six other 18-second trots, but none other in the 17-second range.
- The slowest trots of those five days (August 3 through August 7) belonged to - who else - David Ortiz. With a 27.4 second trot [video] on August 6 and a 27.43 second trot [video] on August 4, Papi was the only trotter to reach the 27-second range. There were five other trotters in the 26-second range (Torii Hunter and Adam Dunn both twice each).