This is an on-going list of 2012's slowest and quickest tater trots. To see daily updates about each and every home run, visit the Tater Trot Tracker at Baseball Prospectus. You can also follow the Tater Trot Tracker on Twitter at @TaterTrotTrkr.
Leaderboard Updated On: October 19, 2012
Most Recent Post: October 18*
* There is a slight backlog in tater trots. This leaderboard will be continuously updated as the backlog is cleared up.
- Bobby Abreu - Sept. 28, 31.56 secs.
- Hanley Ramirez - July 1, 30.3
- Matt Joyce - May 9, 29.38*
*Injured during trot
- Jose Lopez - May 17, 29.37
- Chipper Jones - Sept. 2, 29.21*
- Chipper Jones - May 2, 28.97
- Nelson Cruz - June 16, 28.8
- David Ortiz - May 15, 28.79
- Alfonso Soriano - June 3, 28.65
- Miguel Cabrera - Sept. 4, 28.64
(Click "Continue Reading" to see the rest.)
Quickest Trot (non-Inside-the-Park)
- Bryce Harper - August 30, 16.2 secs.
- Bryce Harper - May 26, 16.35
- Carlos Gomez - July 26, 16.44
- Carlos Gomez - April 24, 16.46
- Adam Rosales - August 12, 16.48
- Brendan Ryan - June 19, 16.61
- Carlos Gomez - July 29, 16.64
- Adam Eaton - Sept. 22, 16.65
- Carlos Gomez - June 30, 16.7
- Carlos Gomez - Sept. 3, 16.78
Inside-the-Park Home Runs (Total Hit: 12)
- Billy Hamilton - July 15, 13.8 secs.*
* Minor league tater trot
- Peter Bourjos - April 11, 14.26
- Eric Young, Jr. - August 8, 14.27
- Austin Jackson - August 10, 14.61
- Alex Presley - April 20, 14.75
- Everth Cabrera - June 8, 15.14
- Justin Upton - August 25, 15.16
- Chris Heisey - August 3, 15.22
- David Murphy - May 19, 15.4
- Norichika Aoki - April 20, 15.5
- Jimmy Rollins - July 31, 15.65
- Jay Bruce - June 15, 15.74
- Ryan Roberts - June 20, 15.93
The single-slowest trot tracked belongs to Luke Scott at 35.76 seconds, who pulled his hamstring during the trot. John Buck also pulled a hamstring during his trot, but his 36.62 second trot time is invalidated because he stopped moving during the trot.
The single-quickest trot tracked belongs to Billy Hamilton, a minor leaguer who completed an inside-the-park home run in 13.8 seconds. In the majors, the quickest trot ever belongs to Peter Bourjos at 14.02 seconds, whose inside-the-park home run was ruled an error.
See also: the 2011 Tater Trot Tracker Leaders and the 2010 Tater Trot Tracker Leaders.
Hi! I'm sure you've heard Harper had his second HR yesterday. By my timing, his trot was at 18 secs even, good enough for 9th. (I confess I'm not sure when your timing starts, so the official time may be different.)
@Victor_E Thanks for the comment, Victor. (I only noticed it today.) You're absolutely right about Harper's second trot - though, here we are, a week later and it's already been knocked off the board. I guess we'll just have to wait for another from him.